Focused on providing affordable accommodation directly on the Whakapapa Ski Field (One of only a few places in NZ where you can stay overnight on a ski field). Ideal for both direct on field, ski in & out access during winter, or, as a base for the variety of outdoor activities (see below) in the Tongariro National Park area.
The nightly rates per person can be found here. Click Here
Available weekends or midweek during the Ski Season (30 June to late October).
The lodge sleeps 20 in 3 bunkrooms of 6, 6 and 8, and is self-catering.
- 20 beds Each bedhas a reading light
- Combined Kitchen/Dining/Lounge
- Tea amd coffee provided (you need to bring milk)
- Fridge and Freezer
- Pillows, spare blankets
- Gas cooker and oven
- Separate male and female bathrooms
- Work bench for tuning gear
- Drying room
- Storage room with ski tuning work bench
- Lockers available for members.
- TV room (DVD player & portable hard drives only)
- Stereo and games
Vehicle and bus parking is available at the top of Bruce Rd and it is a 15-20 minute walk up to the lodge, or 10-15 minute walk down depending on levels of fitness.
Guests bring everything up in back packs (suitcases are not suitable). This provides an educational opportunity in packing ‘essential only’ items which should include adequate footwear for the walk up (we suggest slippers for in lodge) and outer clothing including waterproof gloves and warm hats suitable for all the conditions likely to be encountered – from sunshine to rain and/or snow. (Please bring waterproof coats) With careful packing, most food can be brought up on the first trip, with perhaps stronger people in the group taking a second trip if needed.
Other essential items you will need to bring
- Indoor clothing
- Sheet (to cover mattresses)
- Pillow case
- Sun screen
- Mobile phones
- Group First Aid Kit
Central Plateau Activities – Day Trip/Activity options –
- Skiing/Boarding – Happy Valley for beginners
Department of Conservation parks & recreation -Tracks & walks Ruapehu
- Tongariro Crossing – 7-8 hours
- Mt Ruapehu Crater – 4 hours direct from lodge
- Tama Lakes – 5-6 hours
- Silica Rapids – 2.5 hours
- Taranaki Falls – 2 hours
- Whakapapaiti Hut and Valley – 6 hours from lodge to Whakapapa
- Mounds Walk – 20 minutes
- Chairlift to RAL café during summer (reduces crater walk time)
- Whakapapa Visitors Centre – extensive variety of displays and information on Tongariro National Park, it’s volcanoes and Flora and Fauna www.doc.govt.nz/national-park-visitor-centre
- Tokaanu Hot Pools – Pools, plus free thermal walk with many natural steaming mud pools and fumaroles’ (40 minute drive)
- Te Porere Redoubt – Historic Maori site (25 minute drive)
- Biking – Bike hire from National Park with local mountain bike track options www.kiwimountainbikes.co.nz
- Rafting – Tongariro River www.trr.co.nz
- Kayaking – Whakapapa River Raft www.adventureoutdoors.co.nz
- Indoor Rock Climbing – www.npbp.co.nz/
- Caving and links to other activities – www.doc.govt.nz/activities-and-tours/