History

The Otaihape Alpine Club was formed in 1937 by a group of keen HistoricTaihape alpine climbers & skiers.  There were few facilities at this time the the hut was one of the first built on Mt Ruapehu.

The site was chosen because of its fairly sheltered position and the awesome view of Ngauruhoe & Mt Taranaki in the distant west. It was built before Iwikau village existed and there were no lifts.  Members parked their cars at Salt Flat and walked up to the hut.  They even made their own skis.

By 1972 the membership had grown and a new lodge was built (pictured below).  The lodge was completed in 1974

nice-club-photo-in-snow-com.jpg

Comments are closed.